Major Korean firms fare worse than US counterparts in H1
简介South Korea's major companies performed far worse than their US counterparts in the first half ...
South Korea's major companies performed far worse than their US counterparts in the first half of 2023 due to the sluggish chip and energy sectors amid a global economic slowdown, a report showed Monday.
South Korea's top 100 nonfinancial firms listed on the main local bourse saw their combined sales edge up 0.3 percent on-year to $746.3 billion in the January-June period, according to the report by the Federation of Korean Industries.
In contrast, the combined top line of the 100 leading nonfinancial corporations traded on the New York Stock Exchange expanded 2.4 percent on-year to $3.87 trillion.
A global business slowdown stemming from high interest rates and consumer prices hit South Korean companies harder than their US counterparts in terms of their earnings, said the FKI, the lobby of family-run conglomerates in Asia's fourth-largest economy.
The combined operating profit of the Korean companies tumbled 63.4 percent on-year to $24.8 billion won in the six-month period, while that of the US corporations shrank 3.9 percent to $638.5 billion.
The bottom line of the Korean firms plunged 68 percent on-year in the first half, while that of their US counterparts increased 3.2 percent.
The federation said the performances of large South Korean corporations were affected badly by the worsened records of information technology and energy companies.
The total sales, operating income and net profit of South Korean IT, including chip, firms sank 21.5 percent, 113 percent and 109.4 percent on-year, respectively, in the first half. Yet, the respective figures of the US companies fell 0.3 percent, 4.8 percent and 4.4 percent.
Samsung Electronics Co., South Korea's top-cap firm, saw its sales, operating profit and net profit dip 21.5 percent, 95.4 percent and 86.9 percent on-year, respectively. Comparable figures of its US counterpart, Apple Inc., dropped 4.2 percent, 10 percent and 9.2 percent.
The FKI stressed the need for South Korean big businesses to establish stable profit sources as they remain more vulnerable to external shocks than big US companies. (Yonhap)
With the rise of generative artificial intelligence like ChatGPT, regulators across the world have s ...
김한길 국민통합위원장이 지난달 24일 오전 서울 중구 프레스센터에서 열린 국민통합을 위한 사회과학학회와의 합동토론회에 참석하고 있다. 연합뉴스여당에서 “김한길 국민통합위원장과 가까 ...
더불어민주당 이상민 의원이 7일 국회에서 공직선거법 관련 기자회견을 하고 있다. 연합뉴스이상민 더불어민주당 의원(5선·대전 유성을)이 내주 국민의힘 혁신위원회 위원을 대상으로 강연 ...
- [Herald Review] ‘Single in Seoul’ a bland rom
- YouTuber ‘iGoBart’ and his mission to explore all 467 neighborhoods of Seoul
- [Herald Interview] ‘Battery expansion to prompt strong cobalt, lithium trading’
- N. Korea notifies Japan of plan to launch satellite between Wednesday and Dec. 1: report
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- [Korea Beyond Korea] In Sao Paulo, horizons expand for Korean studies
Court clears cabbie in death of passenger who jumped out of moving taxi
[Contribution] Korean food captivates global palates
[Herald Interview] Latvia hopes to boost economic, cultural ties with Korea
Fifty Fifty's Keena marks group's 1st anniversary with apology
S. Korea's heavyweights like ex
NTCK to celebrate 100th Seoul performance of ‘The Orphan of Zhao’
- S.Korea's largest
- One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
- TvN Sports, CGV to screen Bundesliga’s first ‘Korean derby’
- Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- US strategic bomber B
- [Contribution] Why hope matters in climate crisis
- 윤 대통령 “국민소통·현장소통·당정소통 강화하라”
- 사전투표 D
- Uncertainties remain for Samsung, SK after US eases export controls
- US eases export controls on chip equipment for Samsung, SK factories in China
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul
- Cheongju Craft Biennale stresses connection with nature, Jikji legacy
- Four days of jazz festivities take over Jara Island
- 'We overcame together': NCT127 returns on more solid ground
- Daegu’s iconic opera festival set to attract operagoers with five tragic operas
- Shinhan to bet big on insurance tech startup
- [Photo News] Housing solutions in Asia
- How college students are coping with the impact of inflation
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”
- Art Token launches Hangeul
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- [Today’s K
- IMF maintains 2023 growth outlook for S. Korea at 1.4 pct
- 낙후된 골목시장 누비며 “화곡을 마곡으로 만들 것”
- N.SSign to resume album promotion without Doha