SK Earthon starts first independent oil production in South China Sea
简介SK Earthon, a subsidiary of South Korean energy giant SK Innovation specializing in oil exploration ...
SK Earthon, a subsidiary of South Korean energy giant SK Innovation specializing in oil exploration and production, said Monday that it has commenced its first independent crude oil production in the Lufeng 12-3 oil field, part of Block 17/03 in the South China Sea, starting this September.
Located approximately 300 kilometers from Shenzhen, China, the oil field is projected to cater to over 1 percent of South Korea's daily oil consumption, with an output of around 29,500 barrels at its peak.
This marks the company's first successful oil yield from a concession it manages directly. SK Earthon manages every stage, from the preliminary seismic surveys to the eventual drilling and production, using its proprietary technology.
To combat the carbon dioxide emissions generated during the oil extraction phase, the firm has incorporated several eco-conscious measures in their production infrastructure. These include reusing waste heat from generator exhaust and utilizing electrified components.
The company is also exploring the idea of using vessels powered by liquefied natural gas and harnessing other renewable energy sources.
This project has gained traction with the support of the Korean government's energy financing program, which has been endorsing resource development projects since 1984. As oil production in this block begins, SK Earthon has pledged to repay the government's loan principal and interest. Subsequently, a portion of the profits will be remitted to the government for a specified period.
Founded in 2021, SK Earthon was conceived from SK Innovation to focus on petroleum development and eco-friendly pursuits. SK Innovation had initially ventured into overseas resource development in 1983 in Indonesia.
In 2015, the company became the first domestic private firm to engage in the offshore oil block business in the South China Sea by securing an exploration and production rights agreement with China National Offshore Oil Corporation, the state-owned offshore oil and gas producer.
Three years later in 2018, after conducting geological surveys, SK Earthon uncovered the presence of crude oil in Oil Block 17/03. This discovery led them through various developmental phases, such as evaluating the oil field and constructing the necessary facilities for production.
Currently, SK Earthon oversees 10 oil blocks and four LNG initiatives in eight countries, with a production rate of roughly 52,000 barrels of oil equivalent daily.
Leveraging their proficiency in exploration, the company is also carrying out its Carbon Capture and Storage initiative to discover carbon dioxide storage sites both domestically and internationally.
"As the pioneering South Korean private firm in overseas resource development since 1983, our 40 years of expertise have culminated in this autonomous crude oil production,” said SK Earthon CEO Myeong Seong.
김태효 국가안보실 1차장은 북한의 최전방 감시초소(GP) 복원에 대응해 우리 GP도 복원할 계획이라고 27일 밝혔다.김태효 국가안보실 1차장. 연합뉴스김 차장은 이날 KBS 뉴스라 ...
Marking the first anniversary of the deadly Halloween crowd crush in Itaewon, some bereaved families ...
북한이 건군절(인민군 창건일) 75주년인 지난 2월 8일 평양 김일성광장에서 열병식을 개최하는 영상을 조선중앙TV가 9일 방송했다. 연합뉴스북한이 지난해 탈취한 가상화폐의 규모가 ...
'Do not open plane doors' warning mandated for planes in flight
[Korea Beyond Korea] Professor awarded for building Korean studies in US
Hyundai Motor’s yearly earnings hit record
Cirque Du Soleil mesmerizes Seoul with 'Luzia: A Waking Dream of Mexico'
Seoul shares close more than 1% higher on extended Israel
탄약 찾는 러…국방부 "北컨테이너 적재량, 포탄 수십만발 분량"
- Choo calls for end to protectionism, supply chain recovery during G20 meeting
- Korea extends fuel tax cut scheme until year's end
- 이용, 지도부 때린 서병수·홍문표에 "선당후사·솔선수범 하라"
- Pyongyang denies allegations of Hamas using North Korean weapons
- Posco Future M achieves 100% recycling of refractory waste
- Unwind with Korea food, lifestyle docs on Netflix
- BOK expected to stand pat this week over growth risks: experts
- S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
- N. Korea threatens to strike US aircraft carrier
- Blackpink's Jennie makes solo debut on Official UK Singles Chart
- "조선의 샛별 여장군, 세계가 우러러 볼것"…北, 김주애도 우상화
- Daily Sports Hankook hopes to help stengthen Korea
- BTS gets 6th top honor at 2023 MAMA Awards
- Hanwha Ocean developing submarine stealth technology
- Seoul shares close more than 1% higher on extended Israel
- China’s AliExpress eyes expansion in Korea
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
- Dog meat group threatens to release 2 million dogs near presidential office
- Trilateral cooperation unaffected by US election outcomes: Goldberg
- Transgender blind spot in hospitalization: NHRCK
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- Hyundai Elevator, Erbud team up to rebuild Ukraine
- BOK likely to keep policy rate unchanged on slowdown, hope for Fed's rate freeze, easing inflation
- Hyundai Motor bolsters global partnerships through Expo campaign
- Hyundai’s ‘Uni Wheel’ system gives more room for different car designs
- South Korea warns tit
- [Herald Review] ‘Single in Seoul’ a bland rom
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- Hillstate Gayang flats in Daejeon to go on sale