Trump vows to kill Asia trade deal being pursued by Biden if elected
简介Donald Trump, the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination, said on Saturday that he w ...
Donald Trump, the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination, said on Saturday that he would kill off a Pacific trade pact being advanced by US President Joe Biden if he were to win the 2024 election and return to the White House.
Speaking to supporters in Iowa, Trump said he was against the regional trade deal being negotiated by the Biden administration with 13 other countries, arguing that it would hollow out US manufacturing and trigger job losses.
Talks on the trade sections of the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework, which is aimed at offering the region an alternative to China's growing trade clout, stumbled in recent days after some countries, including Vietnam and Indonesia, declined to commit to strong labor and environmental standards.
Trump, who withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal that had been forged with many of the same countries after taking office in January 2017, said he would "knock out" what he referred to as "TPP Two" immediately upon taking office.
"Under the next administration... the Biden plan for 'TPP Two' will be dead on day one," Trump said at a campaign event in Fort Dodge, about 94 miles (150 km) north of Des Moines.
"It's worse than the first one, threatening to pulverize farmers and manufacturers with another massive globalist monstrosity designed to turbocharge outsourcing to Asia."
The Biden administration had hoped to finish key chapters of its IPEF trade initiative in time for this week's Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting. It has vowed to continue negotiating the ambitious deal, but election-year pressures and resistance to tough commitments from some countries make a deal unlikely, trade experts and business groups say. (Reuters-Yonhap)
Volvo on Tuesday launched its latest all-electric sport utility vehicle, EX30, in South Korea, empha ...
More Koreans are expressing a preference for offering cash instead of gift sets to their parents dur ...
"Graiai"By Kim Hye-binMoonji PublishingThe novel "Graiai" begins with a powerful opening as the head ...
- Hyundai’s ‘Uni Wheel’ system gives more room for different car designs
- Allies vow stern measures against Russia
- Ministry uncovers 1,802 Youth Protection Act violations
- BTS' Suga begins military service
- Spike in camping enthusiasts in Korea, yet camping etiquette lags behind
- [Photo News] Mudeungsan fully opens door to public after 57 years
[Herald Review] ‘Single in Seoul’ a bland rom
S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
[Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
[Korea Beyond Korea] Early Korean history remains virtually unknown abroad
Volvo EX30 debuts in Korea
[Test Drive] Toyota’s minivan Alphard boasts sedanlike drive
- Posco to start search for new chief
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Korean studies in Turkey grows on foundation of strong relations
- S. Korea pushes for using commercial satellites in military communication
- Samsung's Harman acquires audio platform Roon
- Van Cleef & Arpels touring exhibition brings sparkles to Seoul
- Posco to start search for new chief
- 1 in 8 commercial flights exposed to pathogens: KDCA
- Hyundai Motor to halt Asan factory in Korea for EV factory construction
- [KH explains] Hyundai to sell vehicles on Amazon in US sales push
- Seoul shares open higher despite US losses
- N. Korea's Kim, Putin exchange congratulatory messages marking 75th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- Trend forecaster Kim Ran
- Samsung SDI, Stellantis to set up 2nd JV plant in Indiana
- First lady meets with Korean women residing in Japan
- The ruling party vows extraordinary measures to win back people's trust after crushing by
- [HIT Forum] More than 400 attendees explore space at HIT forum
- [HIT Forum] 'Korea ready to become aerospace powerhouse'
- [New on scene] Kim Chang
- HD Hyundai Shipbuilding invests $47m in Estonian fuel cell for green maritime energy
- [Today’s K
- More webtoon
- The 2023 Seoul Fantastic Beer Festival
- Viviz to drop 4th EP ‘Versus’ next month
- [Herald Interview] Monte
- [HIT Forum] Innospace champions small satellite renaissance
- Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
- 민주당 개표 초반부터 환호성…김태우 캠프엔 적막 가득했다
- LG CNS launches new AI platform for corporate clients
- [HIT Forum] Korea's only astronaut highlights humanity's connection with universe
- PM makes official visit to Denmark to promote Expo bid